Section E: Support Services
Policy Title: Student Transportation in School Buses
Policy Code: EEA
Print Version (in PDF)
Tucson Unified School District buses are for the transportation of students and supervisory personnel, if needed, on established routes. However, parents, teachers and other authorized persons may be permitted to ride school buses when supervising students on scheduled field trips and excursions.
For the safety of all school bus riders and others, the good conduct of students riding school buses is expected and required. Misbehavior is promptly reported to the appropriate school principal who has the authority to suspend student school bus transportation privileges. Parents in such cases must be notified prior to suspension.
If a situation or situations arise that pose greater than normal danger on the way to and from school to ambulatory students, the transportation office may, with the authorization of the Superintendent, provide school bus transportation to these students for a period not to exceed sixty (60) days. Continuation of the service beyond sixty (60) days is subject to Board approval.
School bus transportation is provided for students as follows:
- Students attending elementary school who live 1 1/2 miles or more from school.
- Middle school students or sixth grade students who are assigned to a junior high school who live at least 2 1/2 miles from school with no public bus service.
- Junior high school students who live at least 2 1/2 miles from school with no public bus service.
- Senior high school students who live at least 2 1/2 miles from school with no public bus service.
- In accordance with A.R.S. §15-764, handicapped children (as defined by A.R.S. §15-761) in connection with any program, class or service.
For purposes of this policy, eligibility distance is determined by using the most direct route.
A student who is granted permission to attend a school other than his designated school must provide his own transportation (Exception: See Paragraph Two, Board Policy 5090).
Adopted by Board: August 16, 1960
Revised by Board: April 18, 1961
Revised by Board: April 20, 1971
Revised by Board: July 21, 1981
Revision: September 9, 2008 (numeric to letter format only)
Reviewed: September 4, 2012
See also the following attachments:
Recommendations for Continued Exceptions
Attachment II, Exception
to Board Policy on Walk Limits from Old Farm Apartments
to Whitmore Elementary School
Attachment III, Exception
to Board Policy 3340 on Bus Stop Additions for Warren Elementary